facebook

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Chateau Ste. Michelle

Recently I took on a painting commission for the vintner that build the Chateau Ste. Michelle winery.

The commission is like doing two paintings in one. Here I have almost competed the main building of the chateau.

The painting started with a drawing and wash of Alizarin Crimson, Venetian Red and Sap Green.

I wanted get the chateau first as the still life wine will be the area of interest and require more time.



Here I have started the still life working from a bottle of the wine provided by an artist friend. I set up a still life and took many photos to get the bottle label and light just where I needed it. Once I had the right photo, I used Photoshop to put the chateau image and wine together.

I use no cross grid to copy the photo, I just set the photo up by my easel and use it for reference. If a grid is used the painting is too tight and brush work loses spontaneity.



A little more painting, working from dark to light using a limited pallet, paintings on canvas, 24x12.






Painting the table top and adding more light. The final painting will be placed in a new post.






























No comments: